Sunday, March 10, 2013

Oz: The Great and Powerful

Today is a new day! This is the only day that counts!

We went to see the movie, Oz: The Great and Powerful, for my daughter's 40th birthday yesterday. We had a eclectic group of people in attendance.  Usually when I go to the movies there is not such a diversity of age and interests so I wasn't sure how the movie would go over with everyone.





To start with, my daughter, the birthday girl went, along with her two sons, ages 5 and almost 10. Next my sons, ages 38, 36, and 18.  We brought along my youngest son's friend, who is 18.  And then there's me bringing in the old folks contingent at close to 60.

Would this movie hold the attention of this very different group of people?  Yes, it did.

We went to lunch at Chili's before we headed to the movie,where the five year old immediately made friends with his uncles teenage friend.  So of course, he wanted to sit with him at the movie.

In the movie theater, our group split up, the four younger boys sit in a side section across from where the adults sat.  The younger boys picked the seats,  the adults wanted to sit in the center section to get a straight on view.

When the movie began, they were in Kansas. As in the original Oz movie, all scenes set in Kansas are in black and white.  When the character steps into Oz it moves into color, and oh, does it move into color.  The colors are magnificent!  The scenery is so beautifully done.

The movie takes you through how the wizard became the wizard.  I don't want to give too much information because I don't want to spoil the movie for you. As if I could!  The story ties in so many details about how the wizard became the wizard, and how the wicked witch gets wicked.  There are so many little details you can miss if you don't pay close attention.  Sitting between my son and daughter, they pointed out little details to me that I hadn't caught..

One of the most memorable parts of the movie for me was when something funny would happen, the theatre attendees would laugh, and then as it got quiet again my little grandson would still be laughing loudly.  You could hear him throughout the theatre.  He has such an infectious laugh.  People would start laughing again.

I don't know if the movie is appropriate for all five year olds.  Some of the scenes would probably be scary for a more timid five year old.

After the movie, everyone said they liked it.  My older sons said they would have preferred the 3D version. They thought the 3D would have added to the movie.  I have never attended a 3D movie.  I don't know about wearing those glasses for an entire movie.

The little guy has found a new word at lunch, he thought the movie was  "pandemonium".

The almost ten year old gave it thumbs up!

The older guys went to see Mila Kunis.  They were a little disappointed when she became wicked.  All in all they were pretty happy with the movie.

On the way home the two teenagers said they thought the movie was awesome.  In the evening, my teenage son had some other friends over and he was telling them about the movie.  He said they all should go see it.  He is ready to watch it again.  He also mentioned pulling out the original and watching it again.

My daughter wasn't sure how she would feel about the movie.  She grew up on "The Wizard of Oz". Her brothers got tired of her watching it all the time.  In the pre-video recorder days she only got to watch it when it was televised once a year, but after that she could watch it weekly, which she did for a while.  She has also seen "Wicked" on stage.  She was afraid this one wouldn't hold up to those.  I think she was happily surprised.

And now for the old persons view. I would definitely see it again. My husband wants to see it now. Maybe we will go next week.

Well, there is our take of the movie, you will have to see it yourself to get your view!

I am in no way connected with the movie or Disney.  This is just a personal view.





3 comments:

  1. I want to go see it. I'm glad you posted about your daughter because that's how my husband feels, he's a huge original Oz fan. I bet he'd like it. I'm going to try and talk him into going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't want to give to much away when I wrote about it either. That's funny that you said your grandson would still laugh after everyone else stopped laughing because my 7 year old niece did the same thing!!! haha. And when we got our first look at the emerald city all you could hear was "Huuuuuuuuuh" she was so surprised at how beautiful it was. Cutest thing ever <3 I wanted to go see it in 3D but my niece didn't want to (I think she was kinda scared that things would pop out of of the screen that she didn't want popping out at her), so I think my husband and I will go see it again in 3D this time. You can just tell by all the amazing colors that it is going to be so good in 3D. totally_rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your daughter had a wonderful birthday - sounds like it! I also hope you had a Happy Monday! Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment and let me know what you think about this post. I love reading your comments. I try to answer every comment, maybe not immediately, but as quickly as I can.

Thanks!!! Betty