Saturday, May 11, 2013

Blog Every Day in May - Life is Good!!

Day 16, Thursday: Something difficult about your "lot in life" and how you're working to overcome it





This was a difficult topic for me, because I consider myself quite resilient.  I do not allow things to keep me down for long.  I always think my life is pretty good.  It seems like several things have happened lately.  My mother-in-law is still in the hospital and still not doing great, but she is still slowly improving.  

I am happy with my husband and family.  My weight is an issue, but I feel like that is something I have control of.  I just need to make the decision to eat healthy and exercise, which I have done.  Weight is something you can change if you make the decision to do it.  Most of the time people say they want to change their weight, but then they don't really make the necessary changes.

So, what is my difficult "lot in life"?  They only thing that I could think of was the fact that my job was "downsized".  I have been out of work for a over a year and a half.  When I first lost my job I was very depressed.  When I had to go sign up for unemployment is was humiliating.  I felt pretty worthless.  I was the oldest person in the office and they asked me to stay for eight weeks to train one of the other people to do my job.  I stayed because I knew I would get a check for a couple more months and allow me to look for 
something else.



I have looked for work for the last year and a half.  I interviewed several times and thought they were very interested.  I was not offered any of the jobs.  I think my age is the deterrent.  Of course, they won't tell me that.  

In the last month or so I have quit looking.  I decided I would get my son through graduation and spend time with him over the summer.  I will start looking again in the fall.  I had worked part time for the last 6 years at my job.  I will probably have to go back to work full-time.

I decided recently to try to put ads on my blog to see if I could pick up a little income that way.  So far that has not been productive at all.  I think I made about $2.00 last month.



My husband came in yesterday and the company he works for has an opening coming up in the fall.  They asked him if I would be willing to put in for it.  So I think I will apply for the position.  I'm not sure if they will hire me.  I don't know how many more years I want to work, they may want someone who is going to work for several more years.  Most people don't realize my age until they start looking at my work record.  

So I guess my "lot in life" is that I am getting older and it is getting harder to find work.  I would like to work a few more years and help to get my son through college.  I would like to be able to travel after my husband quits working.  We have lived pretty economically over the years and we can do okay if I never go back to work.  So, I guess I really don't consider this a major issue either.
All in all, I am one happy person!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take a moment and let me know what you think about this post. I love reading your comments. I try to answer every comment, maybe not immediately, but as quickly as I can.

Thanks!!! Betty