Wednesday, July 31, 2013

I did it! I made my first Paleo Pizza!

Make sure to take a look at My Weight Loss Blog Directory!!!

UPDATE:  My son liked the toppings, he was just okay with the crust.  He ate about half the crust then ate the toppings off the rest.

My first Paleo Pizza.

I told you I was going to make a Paleo Pizza this week.  The recipe for this one included the Coconut Flour and the Almond Meal I purchased a couple of days ago.  I wrote a post about shopping for supplies Paleo/Primal/Low Carb Eating.  Is it Expensive??

The Recipe



The recipe that I chose for this experiment was from a blog Paleo Diet Lifestyle.   I may a few changes in the toppings and I just made half the recipe.  I wanted to fix it in my toaster oven and use the pan that goes into the toaster oven.  I didn't want to heat up the kitchen.




I started with the dry ingredients.  Then I added the liquids and the eggs.  I used a whisk to mix the ingredients.   The mixture is pretty thin. 





  Mix it until it is fully mixed and then press it into the pan.  The consistency is nothing like regular pizza dough, but it makes a solid crust when its baked.



I baked the crust for about 20 minutes.  I think I left it in just a little too long.  It smelled terrible when it was baking.  I guess the smell lingered because when my husband came home he asked what smelled so bad.

I took the crust out of the oven and started putting on the toppings.




Instead of pesto or tomato sauce, I chose to use pizza sauce because it had no added sugar.  Use the amount of sauce that you want.  Then I added the artichoke hearts.  I cut them up and spread them around the pizza.  Instead of sun dried tomatoes I used fresh cherry tomatoes from my garden.  I sliced them and spread them around the pizza.

I used canned organic mushrooms instead of fresh mushrooms.  I put on enough to cover the pizza.  Last, I cut up uncured ham and added it to the top.  

I put the pizza back into the oven for 10 minutes to cook the toppings on the pizza.  If you eat cheese, you can add cheese to the topping.  

If you would like different toppings add those.  Make the pizza to your own taste.  If you are trying to stay true Paleo make sure your ingredients are Paleo.



Okay, now how did I like it?  Well, the crust was a little sweet for me.  I haven't been eating anything with sugar for a while and the crust tasted sweet.  I guess it is the coconut flour.  I only used 1/4 cup for the entire crust so I'm not sure why.  The crust tasted fine other than the sweet taste.

The crust did hold together as well as, if not better, than regular pizza crust.  I ate some of the crust, but I actually ate the toppings off of the rest of it.  The toppings were delicious.  

So, for me, I think I will look for another type of crust.   I haven't gotten anyone else to try it yet.  My husband won't eat the artichokes, mushrooms, or tomatoes.  I am hoping to get my son to try some.  I think he would like it.  So, that was my first attempt at making a Paleo Pizza.  


19 comments:

  1. Well, keep at it until you find what you like. Me, I would've eaten the toppings as is, or thrown on a bed of romaine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You couldn't heat the sauce and toppings on lettuce. They need to be all cooked together on the sauce. I am still trying to figure it out. My son said the toppings were all delicious. They were all organic and the taste was exceptional.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting! I don't diet...most definitely I should! But the toppings are tasty and love them all...about the crust...well...lol..I think I pass..I'm not big on crust anyways, thanks for sharing..it's always good to keep trying new things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really trying to find new things that will work with clean eating and my weight loss plan. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I wonder if the sweet taste had to do with the almond as well, that tends to run to sweeter tastes. I'm pretty particular about my pizza (crust)... so I think I'll pass on that one too. Oh and my goodness, I wonder why it smelled so bad cooking? That would totally throw me off as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think about the almonds being sweet. You are probably right. I don't know about the smell. It was the crust so it must have been the coconut flour or the almond meal. Maybe coconut milk. I won't be making it again.

      Delete
  4. I love mushrooms, so that part looks great! The pictures of the crust make it look like it would taste odd, or at least feel odd, crumbly. I laughed that your husband wouldn't try it, because that is the way my boyfriend would be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son and I both love mushrooms too! I wasn't sure how he felt about artichokes, but he said they were fantastic. The crust wasn't crumbly at all, it held together very well. It was really solid. I think the almond meal is the reason. It was the least bit flimsy like regular pizza crust can be. My husband doesn't like different things at all. If I had really liked the crust I might have been able to get him to take a small taste.

      Delete
  5. Time to make my one with the guar gum :)

    You said you loved travel, here is my blog from last year if you are interested. We had the best time in Italy!!

    http://cruisingitaly.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda, I have to figure out what guar gum is and where to purchase it. I am going to look it up.

      I read all of your trip blogs and looked at all the great pics tonight. I really have to go there soon!!!

      Delete
  6. Hi Betty... good luck in finding a good crust that you can eat, keep trying:)

    I just wanted to tell you I am taking a hiatus from my blog, I have a some things I have to deal with... I will be back and catch up with you once I am back.

    Good luck with the weight loss:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Launna.

      I hope things are all right with you. I'll be looking for you to come back. I really enjoy reading your posts and talking with you.

      Good Luck with whatever is going on!!

      Delete
  7. Looks like an interesting recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverley, I enjoyed giving it a try and finding out that I really loved the toppings. I just need to figure out a better crust.

      Delete
  8. yum yum yum!

    Liking you from the Linkin’ With My Ladies Hop !

    Follow me back @push pull grind

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Push-Pull-Grind/111572622362424

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I followed you back on BlogLovin!!

      Delete
  9. Wow! I am so impressed! Looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM! And healthy - my favorite kind of food ;) Saw you at the Pin Junkie and had to come over!

    Would love for you to come link up to Super Sunday at Who Needs a Cape! http://whoneedsacape.com/2013/08/super-sunday-link-party-9/ Hope we see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a friend who's completely Paleo. It's quite interesting to read some of the recipes. I don't know if I could. I like my bread.

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment and let me know what you think about this post. I love reading your comments. I try to answer every comment, maybe not immediately, but as quickly as I can.

Thanks!!! Betty