Thursday, July 4, 2013

Reaching the top!!!

Make sure to take a look at My Weight Loss Blog Directory!!

Reaching the top!!

Yesterday was a busy day.  My son and I spent the day with my grandsons and their friend.  Two of the boys are 10 and the other one is 5.  

We went downtown in Indianapolis on a "field trip" as my 5 year old grandson called it. 



We started out today at the Indiana State Museum.  We went to the new "Star Wars" exhibit.  The boys were excited about going to see the exhibit.  




Next we saw the "Lincoln" exhibit.  After that we went to a couple of regular exhibits.

It was about one o'clock and I had a few starving boys.  We looked at the menu for "The Farmer's Market" restaurant inside the museum.  The boys didn't think they liked the food on the menu.  We decided to walk to the TGI Fridays that was across the street from the museum.  We had some burgers there.

I had a cheeseburger, no bun and instead of a regular side, I asked for a small salad.  They said, "No problem!"  Most restaurants are very willing to make whatever you want.  Waiters and waitresses just want you to be happy.  It means more tip for them.



After lunch, we decided we wanted to go to the Soldiers and Sailors Monument.  It is a 284ft 6in tall monument located on Monument Circle in the center of Indianpolis.  It was completed in 1901.  

We began walking down the street to the monument.  We passed the State Office Buildings and I decided to stop at the Indiana Firefighters and Law Enforcement Memorial which is on the lawn beside the state offices.  My oldest son works in the building so we called him and he came down and spent a few minutes with us.  We took some pictures at the monument.  My first husband's name is engraved on the wall.  

We took a few minutes to talk about it being the 34th anniversary of his death.  My son that works in the building is now 38.  He was 4 when his dad died.

We walked through the Rotunda at the State Capitol Building.  Then on to the Soldiers and Sailors Monument.


In the lower level of the monument is a Civil War Museum.  It is free and there are several exhibits.  We spent some time going through the museum and looking at all of the Civil War memorabilia.  

At the Promenade level of the monument are the steps to take you to the top of the monument.  It is free to walk up the steps.  The elevator costs $2.00.  There are 331 steps to the top of the monument.  The monument is 21 feet shorter than the Statue of Liberty.  We decided to walk up to the top.  Then stairs are very narrow.  It is a long way to the top.  



Well, actually, I wouldn't know.  I didn't quite make it to the top.  The boys all got way ahead of me.  When I got most of the way to the top they were coming back down.  I was about 20 steps from the top.  In the crowded stairwell, it gets narrower as you get closer to the top, they were coming down and so were other people.  I just turned around and went back down with them.  They said the view from the top was really good.  


I'm not getting to upset about not getting up there.  I saw Paris from the top of the Eiffel Tower.  I'm sure Indianapolis from the top of the monument couldn't quite measure up.  I have seen Indianapolis from the top of the tallest buildings in the city.  It really is a beautiful city.

After the trip to the top of the monument, we walked back to the car.  The boys were thirsty, I promised them a milkshake on the way back to their house.  The day must have been very tiring, because they all fell asleep not long after we left downtown.  I still owe them milkshakes.  The 5 year old won't let me forget that.

When we got back to my daughter's house, she wanted us to go to dinner with her before we went home.  We went to a new barbecue place.  I just had baked chicken and green beans.  I am still staying pretty good with my diet.

Well, let me tell you, today I can feel everyone of those 300 odd steps I took up to the top of the monument!  My legs are the sorest they have been in a long time.  The thighs and the calves are so sore I can hardly stand up.  Great exercise!  Maybe I should climb like that every day.




14 comments:

  1. I know how you feel Betty... I unfortunately cannot do stairs but with every step I talk with walking... my legs feel like jelly... but I keep walking anyway :)


    WOW... I want to see Paris from the top of the Eiffel Tower too... it sounds lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stairs are rough on your legs! I hope you make it to the top of the Eifel Tower. It is really windy up there!

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine too many views compete with the Eiffel Tower! Sounds like a great day for all of you. And 300 steps would have turned my legs to mush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My legs were mush! The Eiffel Tower is superb!! It is also great to look at while you are cruising down the Seine, especially when it's sparkling!

      Delete
  3. Glad you had such a great day! We went to that Star Wars exhibit when it was at the children's museum here; loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you a Star Wars fan? My grandsons have been since they were little. I am sure because Mom and Dad both were. I have never actually watched the movies.

      Delete
  4. Aww, it sounds like a wonderful day Betty! It must be very emotional to see your first husband's name engraved in memory like that.

    That is super awesome with the 300 steps - AND also great job on the food choices! Do you find it is getting easier to make the right choices? I think you are doing wonderfully!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My food choices are going pretty well. It seems I have been craving pickles lately. The salt isn't great. I figure it is better than sugar. Not really sure.

      I actually enjoy the fact that his name is engraved. It is several places in the state. The National Police Memorial is wonderful. I guess I just am glad that my children have a place to see his name and feel proud. Since they were so young when he died they don't have many real memories. My grandsons are proud to see his name.

      Delete
  5. Stairs always kill my legs too :) It sounds like a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lots of fun to spend the day with all the boys. My legs definitely paid for it though.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like an awesome trip! Our family is heading to Indiana for a short vacation! Looking super forward to it! Thanks for stopping by This Momma's Meandering Mondays! Have an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a great trip to Indiana. There are really lots of fun things to do!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you had a wonderful day with your grandsons and son -- even if you are sore now! Keep up the good work on the diet! Just stopping by from the GRAND Social Linky Party. Hope you get a chance to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a really fun day!! Soreness goes away, but I hope the memories don't!

      Delete

Please take a moment and let me know what you think about this post. I love reading your comments. I try to answer every comment, maybe not immediately, but as quickly as I can.

Thanks!!! Betty