Saturday, September 7, 2013

Respect

Make sure to take a look at My Weight Loss Blog Directory!!!




Respect

I have received lots of advice in my life.  Some of it I have chosen to use and some I just put away in my mind for future reference. My parents gave me great advice over the years.  They gave it from love and experience.  They always wanted to keep me from any pain that they could.  I had true respect for my parents.

I think I usually took their advice, they knew what they were talking about.  My dad was 45 when I was born, he had lived a lot of life by then.  My mom was 36 and she had 8 children before and 1 after, so she knew so many things.  I'm not sure I always appreciated the advice at the time they gave it.  Those are some of the things that I filed away for future use.  There usually came a time when I realized the value of their advice.  My mom has been gone for almost 16 years now, and dad for a little over 38 years.

My parents told me "you have to give respect to get respect".  I believe that is so true.  I had a boss one time that called our group of employees together and told us he demanded respect.  When we all left the meeting we all said that we had no respect for him.  He chose to treat us all without respect and thought he could then demand that we respect him.  It just doesn't work that way.  You need to earn respect.

How do you feel, do you respect someone who treats you with no respect?  Do you do your best to respect others?  

What advice have you been given? 

The Definition of Advice
Quotes about Life
Good Books To Read
My Life Changing Blog Post
Why A Blogger
Summer Solstice
My Life 

______________________________________________________


I am blogging with the September Blog Every Day Challenge. Please come join us!  It will be fun!  Karissa has all the prompts on her blog at Fresh Start On A Budget.


Why A Blogger



19 comments:

  1. Hi Betty - There are many aspects to respect. Among friends it should be mutually shared. It should be given to medal of honor recipients and other heroes. For some reason, when I see the letters R-E-S-P-E-C-T, I always think of Aretha Franklin :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first thought too! I almost got the music to play with the post! I guess we are from the same era. I totally believe when people give of themselves to become heroes, they deserve my respect. I respect that military men for all they give up to go overseas and keep things safe for the rest of us.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I always try to be respectful even when they aren't. I try to practice the scripture, "Do unto others..." I am not saying it is always easy, but I feel better about myself if I don't stoop to their level.

    Have a wonderful Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is really what my parents taught me. My mom, especially, tried to treat everyone in the way she wanted to be treated. She was well loved by so many people.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you...Respect is a two-way street. It must be earned, but you should also give it to get it. I also think you can act respectful without really respecting the person.

    My parents always advised me to put the Lord first. And I did. :)

    XOXO,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I so agree! I always acted respectful to my boss, even though I was unable to respect his actions. He was my boss, so I tried to do the best job I could for him.

      Delete
  4. Yes Betty, Respect is absolutely a two way street... however; I always try to show respect even if they don't... it is not always easy but I also don't think anyone should demand it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when my boss demanded respect he lost all that any of us had for him. I always treated the man with respect. Treating people with respect is a part of my character and I am proud of it. It is also important to treat yourself with respect.

      Delete
  5. I totally agree on respect being a two-way street Betty. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I have always taught my children that they didn't have to like all my rules, and they could give me their opinions about them as long as they did it with respect.

      Delete
  6. It's so hard to respect someone who doesn't deserve it. When those situations arise and I feel I cannot respect someone, I do my best to at least be polite. :)

    I saw you featuring Fun Friday and came to wave hello. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I try to always be polite. Another thing taught me by my parents.

      Delete
  7. What a great post! It is difficult to respect someone who does not show respect toward you. Yet, I feel that even though it is Incredibly difficult to do, treating someone who doesn't respect you with respect eventually teaches that other person.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always believed that too! I'm not sure it always works, but I am willing to give it a try!

      Delete
  8. Respect is something I've been talking to my granddaughter about lately. I have shared my philosophy with her -- treat people the way you want to be treated! It is really very simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is to simple. Too bad so many people didn't have parents and grandparents who taught them that.

      Delete
  9. I try to respect others, but I definitely lose that respect if they don't treat me with respect. And once you lose respect for someone, it can be very difficult to get it back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we should show respect, even to those that do not give it to us (as hard as that might be!) But respect does need to be earned; it can't be demanded. Then it no longer is respect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree completely!!! You can't DEMAND respect... you must earn it. And respecting others usually is the key to having them respect you. Great post! (Visiting from DYW)

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment and let me know what you think about this post. I love reading your comments. I try to answer every comment, maybe not immediately, but as quickly as I can.

Thanks!!! Betty