Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Good Books To Read

Make sure to take a look at My Weight Loss Blog Directory!!!


Good Books to Read  #the help #A Thousand Splendid Suns


Best Books

I love reading!  I have not been reading much lately that doesn't have to do with blogging.  I have reading blogs learning how to do blogging techniques.  I was reading how to use HTML yesterday.

I have also been reading so many blogs lately.  I used to read to go to sleep at night.  Lately, I have been so tired I just go straight to sleep.

Usually, my current book is my favorite.  

Some of the books that I really enjoyed are:

The Help

It is the story of The Help in the south during the 1960's.   An aspiring author tells the story of the African-American maids working for the white families of the south during the decade of civil rights movements.

I really enjoyed the movie on this one too!  The book is better, of course, but they did a good job with the movie.  

Sophie Scholl:  The Real Story of the Woman Who Defied Hitler

When I went to Munich, Germany last year I heard the story of a young college student who stood up against Hitler's regime. She and her brother and a few friends were executed for defying the Nazi Regime.  When I got back home I decided I needed to read her whole story.  I enjoyed reading about Sophie and her fight against the Nazis.

A Thousand Splendid Suns

The story is about the reality of life as a woman in a backward Muslim country.  Two women bond and survive during the war torn years in their country.

This one was written by Khaled Hosseini.  He also wrote Kite Runner, another favorite.  He has a new book out that I haven't read yet, but I have it on my list.


What are you reading?

I need some new books to read.  Come on, leave me some ideas in the comments!!

My Life Changing Blog Post
Why A Blogger
Summer Solstice
My Life 




________________________________________

I am blogging with the September Blog Every Day Challenge. Please come join us!  It will be fun!  Karissa has all the prompts on her blog at Fresh Start On A Budget.


Why A Blogger



22 comments:

  1. I wish I could help you out Betty, I used to read all the time, now if it isn't a blog... I rarely read. If I find a good book here and there I will let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I need to take time to read a few books though!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love The Help and still one of my favorites that I have read. And would be lying if I said I didn't now love watching the movie now, too every time it is on Cable. Just a powerful story/message with a great ending!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have watched it every time I see it on too! Unfortunately, I do remember when people's attitudes were like that.

      Delete
  3. I just read a book called "finding Ultra" awesome read...inspirational reminder of what our bodies REALLY are capable of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MaryFran! I will have to look for that one. I hope I can get it on my Nook.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Wasn't it the greatest! I laughed until I cried when the toilets were in the yard, and when she delivered the pie. I had to force my husband and son to watch but they both loved it when they did.

      Delete
  5. I read mostly non-fiction, a lot of forensics books that give the kids the creeps when they see what I am reading about! Ha ha. I just finished Witnesses from the Grave, and it was awesome. It is about forensics but also gets into history and human rights cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went for a few years where I only read non-fiction. I love the forensics stuff too! It is amazing what they can figure out.

      Delete
  6. I loved the Help! After I read it, my daughter read it, she was only in 5th grade at the time...she loved it! I was glad she was so open to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter read it first but she is 40. She gave me the book and told me I would love it.

      Delete
  7. While I love to read I don't always find time either! When I was working I used to listen to audio books - with southern California freeways/parking lots they really help! Help was one of the audio books I listened to and I actually liked it much better than the movie and I HATED when it ended. Sometimes it is like leaving old friends when you finish a book.

    If you like science fiction I highly recommend Micro which I just finished actually reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean about leaving old friends. I want to get to the end to know everything, then there is such a let down knowing it's all over.

      Delete
  8. I read The Help... it was awesome and I saw the movie too. I have never heard of the other two though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Help was awesome. The other two are about women who struggled to get through life in countries that were going through war times.

      Delete
  9. I love that you are reading up on html. *Nerdy hi five!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I just have to know about everything! "Nerdy hi five" right back at you!

      Delete
  10. I've only been reading blogs lately. I miss reading books but I haven't felt like it lately for whatever reason. I do really want to read The Help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you read it and let me know what you think! I just can't keep up with all the blogs I read and books.

      Delete
  11. I read A Thousand Splendid Suns and loved it that the heroine in the story was Miriam, because it is like my name and it reminded me that I can do things in my daily life that are heroic. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always me hero, Marion!!! The book was fantastic and it does show that we have the strength to get so much further than we ever think we can.

      Delete

Please take a moment and let me know what you think about this post. I love reading your comments. I try to answer every comment, maybe not immediately, but as quickly as I can.

Thanks!!! Betty