Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A - Z Blogging Challenge - What Can You Write About That Starts With V??

I had given a lot of thought about what to write about with the letter V.  A few things came to mind and I had already chosen something when my experiences yesterday made me change my plans.

Today, my husband, his sister, and I met with the doctor's at the hospital to discuss his mother's care and what route we would take for her continuing care.


She had surgery a little over a week ago and had a portion of her colon removed and was fitted with a bag.  She had already been on oxygen because of very weak, damaged lungs.  

After the surgery she was placed on a ventilator.  I didn't know that when you are placed on a ventilator there is a time limit for it when it is used with a breathing tube.  They explained to us that they really don't want to leave one in for more than 2 weeks with a tube that goes through her mouth.

It is very difficult to go into a meeting of this kind.  My husband did not know what to expect from the docs.  He knew that his mother had not been coherent since the surgery and he expected the news to be very negative.

Taking out the tube doesn't leave many options.  You can take it out and hope they can breathe on their own.   Another option is to put in a tracheotomy.  

We were advised by the doctors that she really needs to have a tracheotomy.  They believe that she can't breathe on her own and that she will continue to need help.  The good side of it is that they truly seem to believe that she will eventually come around and be able to function.  That was good news!


I truly believe in the power of prayer and there have been lots of people praying for her.  She is having the tracheotomy put into today and the ventilator will continue to work through it.  

If the doctors are correct she will start coming around shortly after the trach is placed, because they can decrease her sedation.  They really didn't seem to have much hope a few days ago.  Today they told us that she has had a miraculous recovery and they feel like the trach will give her the time she needs to complete the miracle.

If this works she will still have a very long recovery period, but hopefully she will be on the mend and working toward going home.

So, I have had a ventilator on my mind for a while and I chose to use it for my v word.  

Thanks to all of you for your prayers!  Who knows maybe you helped to create a miracle!

8 comments:

  1. My prayers are with your entire family, Betty. Hang in there, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen! I am trying to stay positive and help my husband through this. Kind of hard in my exercise but I'll get it eventually.

      Delete
  2. Definitely thinking of you, her, and your family, and praying for her to come around and be able to go home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have lots of faith in prayer. I don't know how this supposed to come out but I know God does. Just have to trust him.

      Delete
  3. Hey there, stopping by from the Blog Hop! Just wanted to let you know I am now following you via Bloglovin' & GFC! I hope you'll get the chance to visit me :o) You can find me here:

    Blog url
    http://www.croppedstories.blogspot.com

    Bloglovin'
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3718883

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by. I followed you on several mediums.

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for the follow back on bloglovin'! Appreciate it! Have a great day :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I really enjoyed your blog.

      Delete

Please take a moment and let me know what you think about this post. I love reading your comments. I try to answer every comment, maybe not immediately, but as quickly as I can.

Thanks!!! Betty