Monday, April 8, 2013

A -Z Blogging Challenge - Genealogy, A fun hobby!!!

Today is a new day! This is the only day that counts!

My favorite thing to do right now besides blogging is genealogy.  I have been studying my family history for almost a year now.  It is so great.  Family history is interesting.  Even if a family member has already done your family history, you can learn so much by doing some research for yourself.  

When I research I like to find out stories about the individuals not just facts.  The stories make those people seem much more real to me and not just a bunch of dates.

I have blogs about my mother's family and my father's family.  I have truly learned so much more by writing about them. 

Here is my story:

I am 58 years old, I have 4 children.  My daughter is 40, and my three sons are 38, 36, and 18.  I have lived in a household with my own children for over 40 years now.  My youngest will be going to college in the fall. I have had my children in my home since I was 18.  I am now sure what this will be like, to not have a child living at home.  I am ready to try it, but it is a little strange to me.

I married my first husband right out of high school when I was 17 years old.   We had 3 children pretty quickly.  When my youngest was 2, my husband died.   I have written about that if you are interested.  Here is the story.  I was busy raising my three children for a several years.  



I remarried after several years and my youngest son was born when I was 40.  He was born when my youngest of my three older children was in his senior year of high school and the other two where in college.

I guess it's time for me to have another baby since I have my youngest in his senior year again.  Ha-Ha!!  Now it's time for me to enjoy my two grandsons and do some traveling.

I have worked part-time for several years at accounting.  My job downsized, and jobs didn't seem to be forthcoming.  I have decided to try to stay at home at least until my son goes away to college.

My children are great and they are all so special to me.  My daughter is a pediatrician, my oldest son is an engineer, and my other son has a business management degree.  My youngest is going off to college to study history and international studies, with a minor in French.  He would like to travel and he loves finding out about people.  He has a blog about history if you are interested.  I thought it would be good for him to write. He hasn't had lots of time but he tries to get something posted pretty frequently.


To me genealogy is family history, those of you that are writing your stories about your home and family are creating great stories for your family history.  Some day your ancestors will have access to so many of your daily stories and will be able to get to know you through your blogs.  I think that is wonderful and a great way to study your genealogy.

6 comments:

  1. I think this is such a good idea, I know there are so many interesting things to learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think it is good for children to know their family history. I wish I had known more when I was young. Thanks for the comments!

      Delete
  2. This is great. I just love all the old pictures !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have collected several from cousins. Some of these pictures I had never seen until last summer.

      Delete
  3. That is so cool. My best friend recently started to do her family tree and I have done some work with my own. I am currently looking at moving everything to WikiTree.com (she's all about that!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your family history research. I think you will really be glad when you start finding out about your family.

      Delete

Please take a moment and let me know what you think about this post. I love reading your comments. I try to answer every comment, maybe not immediately, but as quickly as I can.

Thanks!!! Betty