Monday, April 1, 2013

How many Sizes Are In Your Closet???

Today is a new day! This is the only day that counts!

Do you have multiple sizes in your closet.  Do you have stacks of clothes in different sizes because your weight fluctuates from one month to the next.  I was trying on my warm weather clothes to get ready for Spring Break.  I went through my clothes and realized that I had shorts in size 6, 8, 10, 12 & 14.  As I thought about it I realized that I wore sizes 8, 10, 12 last spring and summer alone.  I had shorts with the tags still on them.  I outgrew the size before I got around to wearing them.  The year before I went through all the sizes during one year.  

I have always been able to lose weight and lose it pretty quickly.  I think that may be the problem.  When I lose it that quickly I don't allow my body to adapt to changes.  I lose it and get to the weight I think I want and then I just go right back to my old eating habits.

My doctor has told me that he does not want me to lose more than 2-3 pounds per month.  He wants me to do that consistently until I reach my target weight.  It will take time to reach my target.  I won't be able to do it over one summer as I have in the past.  I don't really like that, because it just seems like it will take forever to get down to a reasonable size.  If he is right, and by following his guidelines, I can get to my target weight and stay for the rest of my life, then that would be wonderful.  

If I lose 1/2 pound a week and I do that consistently it would take me 72 weeks to get to the weight I would like to be.  It would take almost a year and a half.  One of the pluses with that is that in six months I would be down 13 pounds lighter than I am now.  And at each week along the time frame I would be losing and allowing my body to adjust to the new habits and changes.

If this is really the key to losing weight and keeping it off and in a year and a half I could be reaching my ideal weight and maintaining it for life, is that worth waiting for. I believe it is.  I have to have a total new mindset.  The one I have used for years is not working for me.  It is just allowing me to yo-yo my weight over and over again.  Is this what I want to do forever?  It just causes my body fat to increase.  

No, I have decided this time it is going to be forever.  The year I turned 50, I wore a size four for about six months and then I slowly went back through the sizes.  I believe that is the longest I have maintained a lower weight in several years.  I exercised regularly for 5 days a week for a long period of time.  I lost a total of about 50 pounds, I was at my highest weight ever when I started that time.  I lost the 50 pounds in a five month time frame.  Then it took me about the same time frame to put most of it back on when I quit eating healthy.  This time will be different.  This is a life time change to becoming a healthy person.  Why rush it?

How many sizes do you have in your closet?  Leave a comment and tell me about your clothes and how many different sizes you have worn in the last year or so.





I had just gotten out of the shower, my hair wasn't done and no makeup, so I had to cut my head off.


7 comments:

  1. In my closet is only size large tops, and size 12 pants. In drawers or other closets are the size medium and even a few small tops, and the size 6-10 petite pants/shorts.

    I was going to keep the 14's I just grew out of one full year, to make sure I'd stay down in weight, but that was before I not only accepted this as a lifestyle change, but a sustainable one. Before I became so gung ho about Primal living. I threw out the 14's today, and in a month or so will throw out the 12's. I will never be bigger than a 10 again, once I get there. Guaranteed!

    I find it takes 10-12 lbs. for me to lose a dress size (slacks)....definitely more for a change from large to medium, top, but I'm very close. My tops are getting pretty loose. WOO HOO

    Re your doctor's 2-3 lbs. a month. I'm not saying it too low, or that it might not be best for you, but I am going to say don't take any doctor's word as gospel. More and more independent (of food manufacturer's or chemical companies funding) scientific testing is showing the old thinking on diet, nutrition, heart disease, cholesterol, and diabetes has been wrong. If a doctor isn't cutting edge, they will (continue) to dispel advice that isn't 100% entirely accurate or up-to-date. So take the advice with a grain of salt, and don't be afraid to question or veer off the path they suggest. Take statins for cholesterol, for instance. Most doctors consider it a life saver, but there is a huge, growing number that realize it is anything but.

    Just food for thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way, I have sizes 6 through 14. I'm working my way back down right now, I'm at size 12 now. Sounds like you have a great plan, I hope it works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch to that question. I have a range of 5 different sizes. Australian sizes are different to the US so there is no point to giving size numbers...women's sizes start at size 8 in Australia and that's the super skinny crowd lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no clue how many sizes I have because we packed up the too small clothes for now. I worked with my doctor and nutritionist for months to lose weight. Before that a different doctor suggested Weight Watchers. I think that working cooperatively with a doctor to lose weight in a healthy way is definitely the best way to go and I'm looking forward to hearing about your success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is sad but it depends on the closet... I have my "skinny" closet with sizes 6 - 10 and I have my normal closet that has 12-16 and lots of L or XL tops... I fluctuate way too much.
    Of course I know what to do... I just can't get motivated to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This could've been written by me. Same boat, lady. Only I'm 60, and it's &*^ hard to lose weight. I'm not eating any sugar, am following Dr. Hyman's advice, (UltraSimple ... Diet, Metabolism, etc books). I would need to walk/jog 40 miles to lose ONE pound, my metabolism is currently so slow. But I plan to hang in there and lose what I can, no matter how long it takes. Diabetes runs in my family (plus the diseases that disease causes or aggravates), and so I really want to lose another 30 pounds. Have lost 8 since January 1.

    Good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I pack all the sizes up and store them in the garage. In my closet I have 11/12's, 13's and some XL tops. I do like loose clothing. Good post. Really made me think. I am taking a year to lose my flab. 2-3 lbs a month is just fine.

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment and let me know what you think about this post. I love reading your comments. I try to answer every comment, maybe not immediately, but as quickly as I can.

Thanks!!! Betty