Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Back to the gym - FINALLY!!!

Today is a new day! This is the only day that counts!

I haven't been to the gym since last Thursday.  It feels like an eternity.  I don't understand it, but once I start going I really get excited about working out at the gym.  But then I will go months without going.

I really am one of those people who like to work out.  I really used to go four to five times a week.  When I was 50 I was going all the time.  I was wearing a size 4 for a while!  That only lasted about a a year.  Then my husband, son, and I went on a cruise.  I ate every time food was offered.  I mean we were on vacation. Right??

After the cruise I could never get back to where I was.  This is where my mind and body need to make changes.  I become obsessive compulsive with something for a while and then something just snap and I revert back to my old habits and I go right back to my old weight and body.

I did notice at the gym that my legs are still very strong. I have  retained some of the muscle I built.

I need to figure out how to just make a lifestyle change that lasts.  I am trying not to diet obsessively this time, just make minor changes that will stay with me forever.  Any tips?  Last spring I lost 20 pounds in a couple of months,  I kept it off for An additional few months and then slid right back.

 My doctor told me to slow down on my weight loss and just lose a pound or two a month.  So I just went back to eating and then eating too much again.  Oh does this horrible cycling ever end.  Up and down.  How do people get to a healthy weight and stay there?







Sophie likes to help me blog! I have to try to keep her from adding lots of unwanted letters to my pages. My son was watching her last night and took this pic.

3 comments:

  1. I had the same experience with vacation and weirdly enough wrote about it this morning. (great minds think alike). That is why I'm embarking on a have your cake and eat it too style journey. I'm not depriving myself...I don't want it to be such a special thing that I do on vacations and whatnot that will start a downward spiral. I'm trying to live my life and accept the cake....accept the days where I don't exercise....accept that life happens. Eat my cake (in moderation) when I want it and can have it. But not go over board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty, I seem to be following MaryFran this morning. You can read my comments in her post for today. We are approaching this differently. But each person has to reach their own decision on what path to take. I would still highly recommend you read "The End of Overeating" by Dr. David Kessler, the former head of the FDA. It might really blow your mind like it has me and several others (well, probably many others. LOL)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya! I was a size 4 when I was 50 too. Now I am a very tight 12 with my tops being XL. I hate it. I look like my grandma!

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment and let me know what you think about this post. I love reading your comments. I try to answer every comment, maybe not immediately, but as quickly as I can.

Thanks!!! Betty