Thursday, February 21, 2013

Make Friends at the Gym!!!!!

Today is a new day! This is the only day that counts!

Today when I went to the gym I realized what I had been doing wrong.  When I used to go to the gym all the time and my weight was where it should be I did things differently.  I joined with friends, and I know that helped.  The main difference though was my friends and I were having a good time and got to know everyone who came to the gym around the times we did.  We talked to all the women in the locker room and when we went to classes. On the days that my friends couldn't be there I felt very comfortable because it  was liking being at home.  My friend got so comfortable there that she went to work for their weight loss division.  She worked there for about 3 years.


When I started back to the gym this last week I took my headphones and wore them the whole time I was there.  I talked to the person at the front desk who checked me in and out.  One of the trainers was standing there and asked me about my son.  He trained my son a few years ago.  He was the only person working there that I even recognized.  It is a cold and unfriendly atmosphere.  I need to change that!

When I went to the locker rooms I thought it is up to me to make this into my friendly place.  I was sitting in the locker room and three ladies came in from swimming class.  They were talking to each other and seemed very happy.  I heard them having a conversation about bras.  One of them had found a great place to find  custom bras.  Well, here was my chance!  I said, "I am so sorry to interrupt, but I overheard you talking about bras.  Where is this place your were talking about?"  The woman was really glad to tell me.  People like being the person that knows something that everyone wants to know.  She gave me all the details and said this place would be very good for you, since you are well-endowed.  All women can talk about bras.  I put the information in my phone and thanked her.  I needed to get to my work-out.  

Anyone who came near me while I was working out got a smile and a hello.  I still wore my headphones, but I didn't go away by myself.  

I don't like being bothered when I am working out, because I want to get my workout done.  I just want to feel good about being there and enjoying people.  I always enjoy people!  There are some people that don't like being talked to at all, but that is pretty easy to see.  Most people enjoy a comment or a smile.  

When I used to miss a workout, someone would say, "I missed you yesterday!"  It's good to belong and feel like people notice whether you are there or not.  

Please take the time to give and receive a comment or a smile at the gym.  I think it will make you happier and healthier.

Wow I don't look very happy there, do I?  It's hard to take a picture of yourself!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for speaking up! I'm sure in no time you will have friends there again, and it will feel like home again. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment and let me know what you think about this post. I love reading your comments. I try to answer every comment, maybe not immediately, but as quickly as I can.

Thanks!!! Betty